Meet Chef Jaena Moynihan
The Sassy Chef – is most likely to stir up the drama in the Peeled kitchen. Her organically comic nature and sassy attitude are matched by her wealth of knowledge and superachiever ambition.
With a degree in culinary arts in hand, she’s back in school earning a certificate in plant-based nutrition and training to become a board-certified health and wellness coach. She loves to create healthy vegan takes on classic comfort foods.
At work, she runs Phoenix Vegan Wellness, writes a blog and manages an online educational platform that helps people transform their lives through a plant-based diet.
Chef Jaena’s Charity: Aimee’s Farm Sanctuary
Recipes by Jaena
Potstickers Two Ways w/ Omni Pork & Before The Butcher Beef and MelioBio Spicy Honey Dipping Sauce
Yield: 30-40 dumplings
1 lb OmniPork Ground
½ lb (1 cup) red miso paste
1 ½ tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
2 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
2 tablespoon shaoxing wine
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoon cilantro, fresh chopped
1 ½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
2 lb napa cabbage, finely shredded
2 tablespoons peanut oil
4 green onions, chopped
5 oz shiitake mushrooms, ground
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
Prepared dumpling wrappers
Water, as needed
- Saute cabbage and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons peanut oil until tender. Add minced garlic and ginger. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a strainer and allow to drain over a bowl 10-15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add drained cabbage and combine. Cool completely before filling dumplings.
- Fill dumplings with 1 teaspoon filling.
- Use water to crimp and seal dumplings.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Place dumplings flat-side down in a pan. Sear 2-3 minutes or until brown on one side.
- Pour 4-6 oz water over dumplings, cover, and cook until water has evaporated.
- Transfer dumplings to a warming dish. Will keep for reheating 1-2 days.
MelioBio Honey-Chili Sauce
Serves 12-15 (up to 1 oz per serving)
½ cup MelioBio Honey
2 tsp ginger, minced
2 TBSP sriracha sauce (or other chile sauce)
1 tbsp shaoxing wine
½ cup soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
2 green onions, chopped
Whisk all ingredients together except sesame seeds and chopped onions in a large mixing bowl. Stir in onions and sesame seeds. Serve 2-3 tablespoons per potsticker.
Southern Noodle Salad with Thrilling Foods Bakon Pieces
Serves 8 (entrees) 16 (appetizer)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
4 packets vegan ramen, reserve flavor packets
2 bags tri-color coleslaw
1 bunch green onions, chopped
½ cup sliced almonds/cashews, toasted
Crispy rice noodles, as garnish
½-1 lb Thrilling Foods Bakon Bits, as garnish
4 ramen flavor packets
⅓ cup peanut oil
¼ cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons organic sugar (or more to taste)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tsp shaoxing wine
½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together (or shake together in a sealed mason jar).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add ramen noodles 4 minutes; drain and transfer to an ice water bath.
- Drain cold noodles and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Reserve a few green onions and nuts for garnish then add coleslaw, noodles, green onions, and slivered almonds.
- Add dressing, toss salad together and top with nut blend, onions, Thrilling Foods Bakon Bits and crispy rice noodles.